Thursday, April 9, 2009

What kind of teacher am I?

I keep a little "black book" full of teaching ideas that blindside me when I don't need them (because I can never think of any when I do). Throughout my APT I have been gathering adjectives and statements that my students, mentor teachers, family, and friends have used to describe me. Recently I organized them into a mind map hoping to find an image of the teacher I am. What I love most about the mind map are the contradictions- they speak volumes about the educator I want to become and the obstacles between "there" and now.


Some Observations:

"Obsessed, OCD, and Pushing Too Hard": As the cliche goes, my greatest strength and weakness might be the same. My perfectionist's nature drives me to be the best teacher I can be but also causes me to be impatient with myself. I need to be more patient with myself, and to accept that the art of teaching takes time. Right now my family is worried that I'll burn out.


"Funny and Sarcastic": An insightful grade 12 student pointed this out to me. The balance between sarcasm as humour and sarcasm that hurts is very fine. I am usually good at reading students and predicting who can handle my humour and who cannot but I must always be cautious.

"Accomodating vs. Too Lenient": I tend to be very empathetic when it comes to extending deadlines or adjusting assignments. While the students recieving these favours are always grateful, other students who have worked hard to meet deadlines sometimes get frustrated. I do not believe that fair means equal, nor do I believe that deadlines and late penalties are always good indicators of learning. I can't be a pushover but I do believe in extensions and and exceptions. In my own classroom I would make my criteria for extensions or exceptions clear in advance.

"Friendly vs. Overwhelming": Apparently I exude quite an air of confidence. I say "apparently" because I often feel awkward around new people and I'm not usually aware of my outer confidence. Unfortunately my confidence can be intimidating for students. I'm not certain yet how to channel my confidence into approachability. However, student warm up to me quickly after I've had a chance to be goofy around them.

"Easy to Read": During parent teacher interviews my mentor teacher pointed out that my body language really gives away what I'm feeling. I am trying to become more conscious of how I react to the things that parents and students say to me.

"Creative and Innovative": I really feel that these are the traits that make me "me", as a teacher and in everything else I do. I love creating, innovating, and problem solving. What I have enjoyed most about teaching language arts and social studies is the room for creative curriculum and lesson planning that they afford. I also truly appreciate the freedom my mentor teacher has offered me to experiment during this APT.

To go on longer would be narcissistic (me? no...). However, I'd reccommend this reflective activity for anyone who is focused on growth and change- it really helped me look into myself. I intend on creating a similar mind maps at different stages of my career to "map" my evolution as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment