Friday, February 20, 2009

New Literacy

If “newb” is still a fashionable word it fits me in every sense. I am a student teacher completing my final practicum at a small k-12 school in rural Alberta. The more time I spend in the classroom the newer I feel to my profession. I am constantly amazed by the creativity and innovation of the teachers and students that I encounter.

I am very fortunate in having Mr. Stephen Banks and his partner in crime Mr. John Ferguson as mentors for my practicum. Banks and Ferguson are devoted to creating 21 century classrooms but what does this mean? I have decided to concentrate my practicum experience on exploring what it means to be a 21 century teacher and learner. I think that this is a wavelength I’ve been on for quite some time but without a full consciousness of the implications. In countless professional reflections I have noted technology as indispensable to authentic assessment, relevant lessons, and constructivist learning. That these reflections took place on paper attests to the fact that I am not walking the walk! I’m considering this blog my maiden voyage into the realm of 21 century learning. What an epically vague term… When Banks and Ferguson get on the topic they practically speak a different language! I’ve been gathering terms and concepts for further “deciphering”:

Archaic Terms
New Literacy
Web 2.0
“Open” learning, resources, conferencing, etc.

Resources To Explore
Twitter
Jing
Voice Threads
Ning Sites
Wiki Sites
Google Docs

“New Literacy” is perhaps the most crucial concept in 21 Century Learning. From what I understand the “new literacy” is a call for people to become both familiar and comfortable with the technology around us. This is especially important for teachers as we must equip our students for the media/technology rich world around them. New possibilities for communication are appearing daily and embracing them may empower our learners in ways previously unimaginable. I’m excited to join the conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment